First, I want to apologize for not posting anything at all during my first semester as a college freshmen. It was such a whirlwind of activities, classes and people that I barely had time to free read, let alone write any poetry. But now that first semester, I’m going to try second semester a little differently, with more “me” time, and less “IT’S THE START OF COLLEGE” freak out time. This involves spending time writing poetry, reading more and spending more time with people, rather than living my life based on test schedules and grades, which will hopefully mean more posts on this site. Before this, however, I feel it necessary to fill you all in on the many firsts of my first semester of college:
- First time apart from my family for longer than two weeks.
- First time I met a celebrity, and that too, Gloria Steinem of all people. Let me tell you, she’s amazing. After meeting her, I find myself saying “WWGD” when I’m faced with a problem that seems impossible. She’s my new idol.
- First time I stayed up later than 4am because of homework
- First time I had honest talks about sexuality, women issues and gender dynamics with people of my own age group.
- First time I had: beer, tequila, vodka, bourbon, rum and whiskey (I feel like I have to point out that the consumption of the alcohol was spread out over the course of five months. I did not have all 6 beverages in one night. I’m not crazy). Turns out I’m not a fan of beer, but I am a big fan of hard liquor, a fact that my mother isn’t pleased with.
- First time I became really good friends with people of the other gender
- First time I kissed a boy
- First (and last) time I kissed a girl
- First time I went to a party that didn’t involve sleepovers, cooking or watching movies
- First time I felt like I completely fit in with a group of people and that I could finally be myself, that I wasn’t just a peripheral member of the friend group.
- First time (and this one’s a whopper) I fell in love. Though I’m still not sure if what I feel is love or not; I just know that I miss him so much all of the time, and that whenever I’m feeling down, all I have to do is think about him, and I instantaneously feel better. But I’ll post something on that topic another day, because I could fill a thousand books about how I feel about him, and why he is the sweetest, cutest, best person in the whole entire world.
And here are some lasts:
- Last time I ever have to take another math class again
- Last time I decide to drink when I feel emotionally down (that was a bad mistake on my part, and it resulted in one of the worst nights of my life)
- Last time I care what people think about me or say, because I know that I have so many people who love me just the way I am.
- Last time I spend Thanksgiving without my family. I visited my friend’s family, and even though she was very sweet, Thanksgiving isn’t the same without my family’s traditions and my family members themselves
- Aaaand… last time I forget about this blog for six months at a time. I am certainly going to try posting at least weekly in college. The only reason why it’s so hard, other than the school and social reasons, is that I want this blog to remain anonymous, which is hard to do when people are walking through my hall as well as in and out of my room 24/7. For instance, I definitely would not be able to talk about the boy I mentioned in 12) if I knew my hall mates were going to read this.
Happy holidays everyone! I look forward to catching up with all of you and getting back to this little section of the internet that I can call my own.